The landscape of life and work, once shaped by the advancements in the field of information and communications technology is being disrupted once again due to the ongoing pandemic. As people adjust their attitudes towards risks and firms adjust their losses, platform work/online work, or work that is delivered and transacted online, is likely to become part of the new normal. This paper looks into some stylized patterns in online work in the Philippines within the bigger context of the Asian experience. This highlights some of the challenges that pertain to skills and social protection and recommends ways to address these challenges.
Comments to this paper are welcome within 60 days from date of posting.
This publication has been cited 9 times
- Androel Encarnacion . 2021. Study finds skill creation and training systems are must-haves in PH. Noypigeeks.
- BMPlus . 2021. OFWs and the growth of PHL digital gig economy. Business Mirror.
- Cai Ordinario . 2020. Online workers must agree on a wage floor–PIDS study. Business Mirror.
- Gab dela Cruz . 2021. Gov’t asked to ‘create skills and training systems’ for online workers . Metro News Central.
- Manila Standard Business . 2021. The rise of ‘online Filipino workers’ . Manila Standard.
- Newsbytes PH . 2021. WB exec urges PH gov’t to address online work issues amid pandemic. NewsBytes.
- Newsbytes.PH . 2021. Study urges PH gov’t to create ‘skills and training systems’ for online workers. Newsbytes Philippiens.
- Panay News . 2021. The age of new tech. Panay News.
- Seha Yatim . 2021. Unique gig economic situation in PH calls for nuanced approach . Manila Times.