The air transport sector is important in facilitating economic growth and development. In a country made up of more than 7,000 islands, air transportation serves as the fastest mode of connectivity within the country and the rest of the world. The direct impact of the air transport sector on the Philippine gross domestic product may appear small at 0.61 percent in 2019, but its enabling role for high-value industries such as trade, manufacturing, and tourism justifies the need to prioritize this sector. Having sufficient, well-functioning, and efficient air transport infrastructure is necessary to ensure maximum benefits to the economy. However, the country’s air transport infrastructure suffers from capacity and technical capability constraints. While the government recognizes the need to improve the country’s air transport infrastructure by providing new airports and improving existing facilities and technical capabilities, time is crucial, and huge investments are needed to catch up with the burgeoning demand for air travel.
Comments to this paper are welcome within 60 days from the date of posting. Email email@example.com.
This publication has been cited 8 times
- Angela Celis . 2023. More air infra investments needed. Malaya Business Insight.
- Arjay L. Balinbin . 2023. Infrastructure upgrades urgently needed to address rising air travel demand, study finds. BusinessWorld.
- Ayeng, Raffy. 2023. Improved airports to boost tourism—PIDS. Tribune.
- Desiderio, Louella. 2023. More air infrastructure investments needed. Philippine Star.
- Garcia, Jenica Faye. 2023. PH airport infra needs upgrade – study. Manila Times.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2023. PIDS study pushes modernization of aviation gateways. BusinessMirror.
- Pablo, Roumina. 2023. More investments in PH air transport urgently needed, says government think tank. Portcalls.
- Tabile, Justine Irish. 2023. Airport upgrades needed with sharp rise in passenger traffic expected by 2027. BusinessWorld.