Key to achieving national targets under a devolved set-up is the capacity of the entire system to implement health and nutrition programs at scale. This requires coordinated efforts with the same energy and commitment among the local government units (LGUs). Though still few relative to the total number of LGUs, there are LGUs that have already demonstrated being able to sustain a number of nutrition-related interventions. Moreover, there is increasing interest in implementing the First 1,000 Days Program despite past interventions being focused on feeding programs for older children in day care centers and schools. There are also LGUs that, with training in leadership and governance, can facilitate improvements in their local health system to deliver a continuum of maternal, neonatal, and child health care in a service delivery network. Based on the experiences of these LGUs, it is possible to move forward by systematically addressing two sets of issues: one of governance and health systems improvements; and two of strengthening key elements and filling out gaps in existing maternal, neonatal and child health and nutrition programs, particularly the nutrition-specific components.
This publication has been cited 8 times
- Abante News. 2022. Batas laban sa stunting ng mga bata paigtingin. Abante.
- Gatchalian, Win. 2022. Gatchalian wants next admin to address stunting among Filipino kids. Win Gatchalian.
- Gutierrez, Gelaine Louise. 2021. No children left behind. Philippine Information Agency.
- National Nutrition Council . 2021. A call to Punong Barangays to be one for nutrition. National Nutrition Council.
- Paunan, Jerome Carlo. 2022. Gatchalian hopeful next admin to address stunting among Filipino kids. Philippine Information Agency.
- Reyes, Ernie. 2022. Pagkabansot ng Pinoy kids, dapat tutukan ng susunod na admin – Win. Remate On-line.
- Senate of the Philippines. 2022. Gatchalian wants next admin to address stunting among Filipino kids. Senate of the Philippines.
- Belmonte, Jose Christopher. 2020. House Resolution 820: A resolution directing the committee on health jointly with the committee on disaster management to conduct an immediate review and assessment, in aid of legislation, of the implementation of Executive Order No. 51, Republic Act No. 10028, Republic Act No. 11148, and Republic Act No. 10821 in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. House of Representatives.