Innovation involves implementing new or significantly improved goods and services, production processes, marketing, or organizational methods for adding value. The measurement of innovation provides a mechanism for benchmarking national performance, and for examining innovation and its relation to economic growth. Further, examining determinants and bottlenecks to innovation among firms provides inputs to mainstreaming of policies on innovation.
This paper describes and discusses the results of the 2015 Survey of Innovation Activities, conducted by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies. Survey results suggest that less than half of the firms in the country are innovators, with larger-sized firms innovating more than micro, small, and medium establishments. Government needs to have a champion for developing stronger policies and interventions to support and encourage innovation. It is also important to improve information dissemination on public programs available to assist firms in innovating. Networking, linkages, and collaboration among the government, industry associations, and universities and research institutions also require further enhancement.
This publication has been cited 14 times
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. et. al. 2018. What drives Filipino firms to innovate. Working Papers id:12911. eSocialSciences.
- Bayudan-Dacuycuy, Connie and Lora Kryz C. Baje. 2018. Assessing the effects of simple and complex innovation strategies on the performance of firms in the Philippines. Working Papers id:12899. eSocialSciences.
- Bayudan-Dacuycuy, Connie and Lora Kryz C. Baje. 2018. Assessing the effects of simple and complex innovation strategies on the performance of firms in the Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 2018-09. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Quimba, Francis Mark A., Jose Ramon G. Albert, and Gilberto M. Llanto. 2017. Innovation Activity of Firms in the Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 2017-44. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Albert, Jose Ramon, F. M. Quimba. 2017. Fostering innovation in the Philippines. East Asia Forum.
- Albert, Jose Ramon, F. M. Quimba. 2017. Why the Philippines needs a new plan to boost innovation. The Diplomat.
- Gatpolintan, Leslie. 2017. Gov’t needs to support innovators. Philippine Canadian Inquirer.
- Gatpolintan, Leslie. 2017. Gov’t needs to support innovators. Philippine News Agency.
- Malaya Business Insight. 2017. PH should be spend more on R&D. Malaya Business Insight.
- Panay News . 2022. Technology to improve agri. Panay News .
- Valencia, Czerisa. 2017. Spending on innovation way behind global norms. Philippine Star.
- Valencia, Czeriza. 2017. Innovation in businesses limited to big firms — PIDS. Philippine Star.
- Alejano, Gary. 2018. House Bill 7830: An act increasing the yearly allocation for Scientific and Technological Activities (STA) and for other purpose. House of Representatives.
- Yap, Arthur. 2017. House Bill 6476: An act adopting innovation as vital component of the country's development policies to drive inclusive development, promote the growth and national competitiveness of micro, small and medium enterprises, appropriating funds therefor, and for other purposes. House of Representatives.