Poverty simulations suggest that the COVID-19 pandemic and the measures implemented by the government to contain the spread of the virus will increase the number of poor in the country. As such, various social safety nets were implemented by both the national and local government agencies to help the affected individuals, families, and enterprises cope with the economic effects of COVID-19 and to smoothen their consumption particularly during the initial stages of the national lockdown, albeit temporarily.
Comments to this paper are welcome within 60 days from date of posting.
This publication has been cited 7 times
- Cai Ordinario . 2021. PHL looks to China’s ‘inspiration’ in effort at poverty reduction. Business Mirror.
- Czeriza Valencia . 2021. Pandemic erases gains in poverty reduction — PIDS. Philippine Star.
- Czeriza Valencia . 2021. Pandemic to raise number of poor in Philippines. Philippine Star.
- Edu Punay . 2021. Lawmaker seeks another round of cash aid. Philippine Star.
- Noah James . 2021. Study urges gov’t to address long-term impacts of COVID-19 pandemic. Metro News Central.
- Panay News . 2021. Long-term impacts of pandemic. Panay News.
- PIDS/PIA. 2021. PIDS study urges gov’t to address long-term impacts of COVID-19 pandemic. Philippine Information Agency.