The quality of the Philippine telecommunication/information and communication technology (ICT) regulatory environment is significantly below what is considered international best practice. Using a scoring system developed by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), where 100 points represent the best possible scenario, the Philippines is only midway toward the ideal with a score of 52.50––second lowest in a group of seven ASEAN members. A package of structural reforms is needed to improve regulatory quality and support the efficient functioning of ICT markets. While the regulatory regime (or specific rules) and the competition framework are essential elements, they will only work if an effective regulatory authority with the right mandate is in place. Therefore, this should be prioritized in the reform agenda. Last but not least, universal access/service is an important goal that needs to be pursued. We should learn from our own and other countries' experience in crafting a new strategy.
This publication has been cited 15 times
- Bastianin, Andrea, Paolo Castelnovo and Massimo Florio. 2017. The empirics of regulatory reforms proxied by categorical variables: Recent findings and methodological issues. MPRA Paper 78256. University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bastianin, Andrea, Paolo Castelnovo, and Massimo Florio. 2018. Evaluating regulatory reform of network industries: A survey of empirical models based on categorical proxies. Utilities Policy 55(C), 115-128. Elsevier.
- Bastianin, Andrea, Paolo Castelnovo, and Massimo Florio. 2017. The empirics of regulatory reforms proxied by categorical variables: Recent findings and methodological issues. Working Papers 2017.22. Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bastianin, Andrea, Paolo Castelnovo, Massimo Florio. 2018. Evaluating regulatory reform of network industries: A survey of empirical models based on categorical proxies. Papers 1810.03348,. arXiv.org.
- Campos, Othel. 2017. PH telco regulation poor – PIDS report. Manila Standard Today.
- Angela Celis. 2017. Reforms to lift PH telco standing: PIDS. Malaya.
- Cahiles-Magkilat, Bernie . 2017. PH telcos’ regulatory systems below int’l standards — PIDS. Manila Bulletin.
- Chanco, Boo. 2016. Substandard and outdated. Philippine Star.
- Dagooc, Ehda. 2017. Philippine telco standards rank second lowest. Freeman.
- Mayvelin U. Caraballo. 2017. Reforms needed to reboot PH telecoms sector — PIDS. Manila Times.
- Montealegre, Krista. 2017. PCC hits telcos over final payment for SMC assets. BusinessMirror.
- Sunstar Manila. 2017. Gov't think tank: PH telco regulatory environment weak. SunStar Manila.
- Valencia, Czeriza. 2017. State think tank bats for ‘reboot’ of telco sector. Philippine Star.
- Velasco, Ed. 2017. RP has poor telco regulator – report. The Daily Tribune.
- Villafuerte, Luis Raymund. 2018. House Bill 7281: An act requiring public telecommunications entities to provide nationwide mobile number portability to subscribers. House of Representatives.