In the Philippines, women and children with disabilities were found to have lower literacy and school participation rates, and generally have lower educational attainment, than male persons with disability (PWDs) and nondisabled children. This paper is part of the joint project of the Philippine Institute for Development Studies and the Institute of Developing Economies. It looked into the school participation of children with disability in Mandaue City and San Remigio, Cebu, Philippines. Using survey data (collected involving PWD enumerators) and key informant interviews with various stakeholders, the study found that school participation among PWD children is generally low in both study sites. Possible reasons for low school participation are: type and severity of impairment, distance of school (especially in rural area, San Remigio), household size, and income. Some recommendations include making sure that assistive devices given to PWD children match their needs, possible learning livelihood and basic health care modules/trainings for parents, exploring ways to train more teachers (including the Alternative Learning System or ALS) to handle children with disabilities, and possible local government unit partnerships to provide venues for the ALS. Lastly, the study recommends pushing for more awareness to make schools not just "child friendly" but also "PWD friendly".
This publication has been cited 16 times
- Abante. 2020. ‘Learners with disabilities’ dapat tuloy ang edukasyon. Abante.
- Abante News Online . 2020. Isulong ang pagpapatuloy ng edukasyon para sa kabataang may kapansanan. Abante.
- Arcilla, Jan. 2020. Address educ of PWD children - PIDS. Manila Times.
- Cervales, Vicky. 2020. Edukasyon para sa bawat mag-aaral na may kapansanan isinusulong. Pilipino Mirror.
- Gatchalian, Win. 2020. Better inclusion needed for learners with disabilities. Win Gatchalian.
- Hernando-Malipot, Merlina. 2020. DepEd, gov’t urged to address education challenges of children with special needs. Manila Bulletin.
- Magsambol, Bonz. 2020. DepEd: Students with special needs included in distance learning preps. Rappler.
- Magsambol, Bonz. 2020. Distance learning: A looming crisis for students with special needs. Rappler.
- Matining, Dindo. 2020. Win sa DepEd: Mga may kapansanan, tiyaking makakapag-aral pa rin. Abante.
- Page One. 2020. Sen. Gatchalian seeks increased support for learners with disabilities amid COVID-19. Page One.
- People's Tonight . 2020. A major challenge. Journal Online.
- Rappler. 2019. More gov’t programs for special education students, mobile schools urged. Rappler.
- Reyes, Ernie. 2020. Edukasyon ng PWDs, tiyakin sa gitna ng COVID-19 – Win. Remate.
- Senate of the Philippines. 2020. Gatchalian seeks increased support for learners with disabilities amid COVID-19 threat. Senate of the Philippines.
- Senate of the Philippines. 2020. Gatchalian calls for better inclusion for learners with disabilities on . Senate of the Philippines.
- Arroyo, Ma. Lourdes. 2020. House Bill 7180: An act to provide emergency health grant to persons with disabilities during the COVID-19 crisis and providing funds therefor. House of Representatives.