This study evaluates the performance of the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) in the last 30 years using the program's theory of change. A results chain framework was constructed and the program processes examined drawing from several studies that assessed the implementation and impact of CARP. The study notes that the accomplishments of CARP in terms of land-reformed area and number of beneficiaries for the past 30 years have been substantial. However, there is evidence that the program has been poorly targeted in terms of areas covered and beneficiaries. The Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) experienced difficulty in constructing the land inventory and master list of beneficiaries due to the absence of parcel-based information on land use and ownership and the poor land record system in the country. There is also no inventory of farmers or tenants in the country. Targeting thus has been largely influenced by landowners, local officials, including DAR officials at the local level so as to expedite the process of land tenure improvement.
This publication has been cited 16 times
- Bequet, Ludovic. 2021. Agricultural productivity and land inequality. Evidence from the Philippines. MPRA Paper 108131. University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bequet, Ludovic. 2022. Agricultural productivity and land inequality: Evidence from the Philippines. DeFiPP Working Papers 2203. University of Namur, Development Finance and Public Policies.
- Babasa, Franco. 2020. An analysis of Philippine underdevelopment. Medium.
- Cahiles-Magkilat, Bernie. 2018. Land reform program implementation flawed — PIDS. Manila Bulletin.
- Chikiamco, Calixto. 2022. Land consolidation is the answer. BusinessWorld.
- Cruz. Jasey, and Anton C. Sobreviñas . 2019. New massacre highlights failures of Philippine land reform. The Guidon.
- Icamina, Paul. 2018. 30 years after: Tenancy still prevalent in land reform. Malaya Business Insight.
- Ignacio, Reicelene Joy. 2018. Agri reforms needed to attract FDI – AmCham. BusinessWorld.
- Magsambol, Bonz. 2020. Youth in revolt: Anakbayan's Vinz Simon on activism, fighting oppressive gov't. Rappler.
- Manabat, Joann and Inday Espina-Varona . 2022. ‘Win-win’ solution halves MAKISAMA-Tinang’s share of agrarian reform land. Rappler.
- Manila Standard. 2022. AGRI party-list seeks condonation of unpaid amortizations, interests, penalties on loans of agrarian reform beneficiaries. Manila Standard.
- MB Business . 2022. AGRI Party-list files measure condoning unpaid amortizations, interests, penalties on loans of agrarian reform beneficiaries. Manila Bulletin.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2018. No need to revise CARP law, PIDS says. BusinessMirror.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2022. Pricey training hobbles Pinoy youths’ aspiration to improve digital skill sets. BusinessMirror.
- People's Tonight. 2022. Party-list solon seeks loan condonation of ARBs. Journal Online.
- Rivas, Ralf. 2018. Farmers still hungry after 30 years of agrarian reform. Rappler.