Understanding the direct and indirect health consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic is critical in designing a holistic public health response. This study has two objectives. First, we demonstrated the disruption of essential healthcare services using data from selected government facilities. Second, we estimated the productivity losses from direct and indirect health impacts of the pandemic. Validating our earlier study using health insurance claims, our findings showed a sharp decline in admissions and consultations in selected government facilities, particularly among the vulnerable population. Based on our estimates, the long-run costs from productivity losses from direct and indirect health impacts of the pandemic amount to PHP 2.3 trillion (at net present value). Indirect health impacts account for the majority of these costs. Click here to download the discussion paper.
Comments to this paper are welcome within 60 days from the date of posting. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This publication has been cited 13 times
- Baguio Midland Courier . 2021. PhilHealth challenged this pandemic.
- Business Mirror . 2021. Study: Productivity loss from Covid at P2.3T. Business Mirror.
- de Vera, Ben. 2021. PIDS: Filipinos’ lifetime productivity losses due to COVID-19 to hit P2.3 trillion. Inquirer.
- Guangco, Kristel. 2021. E-Governance Bill, isinusulong ni Sen. Bong Go na maipasa na. SMNI News Channel.
- Nazario, Dhel. 2021. Go urges passage of bill digitalizing government services. Manila Bulletin.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2021. ‘Higher spending on health, more jabs key to Covid’s end’. Business Mirror.
- Philippine News Agency . 2021. Go pushes bill for digitalization of gov’t services. Philippine News Agency.
- PTV News . 2021. Go pushes bill for digitalization of gov’t services. PTV News.
- Rada, Julito. 2021. COVID-19 may lead to P2.3t in output losses. Manila Standard.
- Tribune. 2021. Bong Go backs digitalization of government services. Tribune.
- Tribune. 2021. Pandemic spills P2.3-T productivity. Tribune.net.
- Villar, Manny. 2021. Response to Omicron. BusinessMirror.
- Villar, Manny, Jr. 2021. Response to Omicron. Panay News.