Typhoons, pests, and other natural calamities cause the country, particularly the agricultural sector, significant damages. For instance, Typhoons Yolanda (Haiyan) and Ompong (Mangkhut) have caused PHP 35 billion and PHP 27 billion worth of agricultural damages, respectively, based on estimates by the Department of Agriculture. Given that a third of the country’s workforce depend on the agriculture sector, it is crucial that efforts are undertaken towards mitigation of the effects of these shocks and risks. One of these efforts is agricultural insurance as provided for by the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC). Using information from the PCIC, key informant interviews and focus group discussions with agricultural producers, and findings from earlier studies on agricultural insurance, this study examines the constraints in, opportunities, and efforts for achieving impact and inclusion of agricultural insurance programs in the Philippines.
This publication has been cited 9 times
- Adaro, Ivan Anthony. 2022. Left to plow in silence. The Weekly Sillimanian.
- Billy Begas . 2021. Kontra ASF, peste: Joey Salceda seeks expanded insurance for crops, livestock. Politiko.
- Gayta, Melva. 2020. PIDS recommends a more inclusive agricultural insurance. Philippine Information Agency.
- IBON Media & Communications . 2020. Swept away – Philippine agriculture bears wrath from government neglect. Ibon.
- Maricel Cruz . 2021. Salceda: Expand crop, livestock insurance systems. Manila Standard.
- Ocampo, Karl. 2020. Small farmers continue to shy away from agri insurance. Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2020. Amend PCIC charter to make crop insurance more affordable–Pids. BusinessMirror.
- Ralf Rivas . 2020. How climate change, lack of insurance, push farmers out of agribusiness. Rappler.
- Salceda, Joey Sarte. 2021. House Bill 9259: An act further amending Presidential Decree No. 1467, as amended, otherwise known as the charter of the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC), to encourage private sector participation in agricultural insurance, and to expand the insurance services of the corporation to include livestock insurance. House of Representatives.