Crop insurance is a risk management tool designed to even out agricultural risks and address the consequences of natural disasters to make losses more bearable, especially to the marginalized farmers. In the Philippines, the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC) implements and manages the government program on agricultural insurance. This paper provides a comprehensive review of the crop insurance program in the Philippines--its history, operationalization, performance, and a number of challenges. Some of the identified constraints in operating the program are high overhead cost, need for larger investment fund, and question of sustainability. The results of secondary data assessment and key informant interviews revealed that PCIC has captured only a small segment of its target clientele, particularly the subsistence farmers, due to logistical and marketing constraints. Moreover, farmer dependence on informal credit, particularly in rural farming communities, seems to have also created a nonviable setting for a crop insurance program.
This publication has been cited 6 times
- Bathan, Bates M. and Prudenciano U. Gordoncillo. 2017. Determinants of credit constraint among corn farmers in Isabela Province, Philippines. Journal of Economics, Management & Agricultural Development (JEMAD), 3, no. 2. University of the Philippines.
- Conrado, Vilma et. al. 2017. Evaluation of the impact of Agricultural Insurance Program of the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation on agricultural producers in Region 02 (Cagayan Valley), Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 2017-12. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gunnsteinsson, Snaebjorn. 2020. Experimental identification of asymmetric information: Evidence on crop insurance in the Philippines. Journal of Development Economics, 144(C) . Elsevier.
- Mina, Christian D. et. al. 2015. Review of design and implementation of the Agricultural Insurance Programs of the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation. Discussion Papers DP 2015-07. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Reyes, Celia M. et. al. 2017. Crop insurance program of the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation: integrative report from the five case regions in the Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 2017-39. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Reyes, Celia M. et.al. 2017. Crop insurance program of the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation: Integrative report from the five case regions in the Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 2017-39. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.