This study conducts a process evaluation to determine the extent of implementation of the Senior High School (SHS) program and identify best practices, issues, and areas for improvement. It looks at three specific components namely, program theory, service delivery and utilization, and program organization. To capture a wider range of school context and experiences related to the implementation of the SHS program, 25 schools were randomly chosen based on their size, tracks offered, as well as area classification. Focus group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews (KIIs) with program implementers and program beneficiaries were conducted in the chosen schools. Interviews with current and past senior officials of the Department of Education and policymakers were also conducted. To provide comprehensive background to the FGDs and KIIs, enrollment data at the school level were also processed. Findings of the study reveal notable gains foremost of which is enrollment exceeding expectations. It is to the credit of the DepEd bureaucracy to have launched the SHS program to a very good start considering the enormity of the needs and challenges of implementing a new and nationwide program. The DepEd bureaucracy was found to have prepared well to implement the program and program support was conceptually well-organized. Several implementers, teachers, parents, and students highlighted varying experiences and opportunities which are very instructive. Certainly, the program is facing many challenges which hopefully are mostly mere birthing pains which can be addressed soon as implementation procedures continue to stabilize and take root.
This publication has been cited 17 times
- Abellanosa, Rhoderick. 2022. Abellanosa: Wanted senior high teachers. Sunstar.
- ABS-CBN. 2020. Senior high students can barely write in English: Report. ABS-CBN.
- Arcilla, Jan. 2020. SHS needs more sports, arts tracks – think tank. Manila Times.
- Bread, Gaelic. 2021. A rusty, golden key. Medium.
- BusinessMirror. 2020. Global BPO Company offers FREE online English courses to Senior HS students. BusinessMirror.
- Cristina Chi, Jan Cuyco . 2021. Pandemic exacerbates challenges in K to 12 program as DepEd’s subsidies fall short. ABS-CBNnews.com.
- Cristina Chi, Jan Cuyco . 2021. Pandemic exacerbates challenges in K to 12 program as DepEd’s subsidies fall short. Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism.
- Cristina Chi, Jan Cuyco . 2021. Pandemic exacerbates challenges in K to 12 program as DepEd’s subsidies fall short. DailyGuardian.
- Daily Guardian. 2020. Some SHS students face challenges with English writing?. DailyGuardian.
- Filoteo, Marielle. 2021. The Philippine education system in crisis. Medium.
- Gualberto, Jirah. 2020. Sports, art tracks least offered in SHS. Sun Star Manila.
- Ki. 2020. SHS can barely write in English according to study. Philippine News.
- Magsambol, Bonz. 2020. Senior high school students struggle to write in English – report. Rappler.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2020. Senior high needs sports tracks. BusinessMirror.
- Tan, Jo-Est. 2020. Are Senior High School students dumb? New study suggests most ‘can barely write in English’. Dailypedia.
- TNT Abante. 2020. Mga senior high student tameme sa pagsulat ng English. TNT Abante.
- Romulo, Roman. 2019. House Resolution 335: A resolution directing the committee on basic education and culture to conduct an inquiry, in aid of legislation, on the status of the implementation of Republic Act No. 10533 or the "Enhanced Basic Education Act" in order to review and evaluate the progress of the department of education in meeting the standards provided by law. House of Representatives.