Significant trade and industrial reforms have been instituted for more than a decade now. While the economy has been growing by more than 6%, there are recent indicators that cast doubts over the optimism on the reforms. In light of the recent developments, this paper discusses the impact of these reforms on the aggregate level and on the manufacturing sector. It also examines the industrial performance of the past years and during the first two quarters of 1997. Using the trends, an analysis of the role of exchange rate is presented.
This publication has been cited 5 times
- Lamberte, Mario B. and Josef T. Yap. 1999. Scenarios for economic recovery: The Philippines. Discussion Papers DP 1999-05. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Llanto, Gilberto M.. 2016. Regulatory coherence: The case of the Philippines. Edited by Derek Gill and Ponciano Intal, Jr., 231-293. Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Llanto, Gilberto M.. 2016. Towards a requisite regulatory management system: Philippines. Working Papers DP-2016-21. Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Milo, Melanie S.. 1999. Contagion effects of the Asian crisis, policy responses and their implications. Philippine Journal of Development JPD, 26, no. 2-c. Philippine Institute for Development Studies..
- Milo, Melanie S.. 1999. Contagion effects of the Asian crisis, policy responses and their implications. Discussion Papers DP 1999-32. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.