The global goal to attain gender equality, including ending all forms of discrimination against women and girls, and ensuring their safety, is central to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. Its attainment means that every person, regardless of sex, is empowered to reach his or her full potential. This entails both men and women being given equal opportunities to education, paid employment, and real decision-making power, whether in the private or public sector. This paper discusses how the country fares in several gender and gender-related indicators that can be used to monitor progress toward gender equality and women empowerment. It provides an overview of the current situation in areas such as equality of human capabilities, equality of economic opportunity, equality in political voice and leadership, and the safety of women and girls. The paper also identifies priorities for public policy while seeking new directions in a number of transformational issues to attain gender equality and women's empowerment in the country.
This publication has been cited 15 times
- Briones, Roehlano. 2018. The wage gap between male and female agricultural workers: Analysis and implications for gender and development policy. Discussion Papers DP 2018-15. Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Liaqat, Sundas et. al. 2021. Lost in interpretation: Why spouses disagree on who makes decisions. International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liaqat, Sundas et. al. 2021. Lost in interpretation: Why spouses disagree on who makes decisions. Policy Research Working Paper Series 9883. The World Bank.
- Asia Biz Today. 2020. Philippines: A Gender Equal Nation Striving for Workplace Gender Equality. Asia Biz Today.
- Casis, William. 2020. Bill to provide additional benefits to single, foster parents. FilAm Star.
- Garcia, Gemma. 2020. Dagdag benepisyo sa 14 milyong solo parents, giit ni Sen. Go. Pilipino Star Ngayon.
- Investigating in Women. 2020. The Philippines: A gender-equal nation striving for WGE. Investigating in Women.
- Mindanao Daily Mirror. 2020. Bong Go seeks to provide greater benefits for single parents as COVID-19 crisis makes solo parenting tougher. Mindanao Daily Mirror.
- Ocampo, Gab. 2020. Go pushes more benefits for single parents. Metro News Central.
- People's Tonight. 2020. Go seeks to provide more benefits for single parents. Journal Online.
- Remate. 2020. Dagdag na benepisyo sa 14-M solo parents, iginiit ni Go . Remate.
- The Philippine Star. 2020. Go wants greater benefits for single parents. Philippine Star.
- Tribune. 2020. Go: Solo parents need more inclusive laws. Tribune.
- Salceda, Joey Sarte. 2019. House Bill 8875: An act providing for compensation to stay-at-home housewives. House of Representatives.
- Salceda, Joey Sarte. 2018. House Bill 80: An act providing for compensation to stay-at-home housewives. Senate of the Philippines.